isGroup was commissioned as Principal Contractor to re-brand the Albert Dock in Liverpool, a world heritage site and leading UK attraction in 2008. The works consisted of the manufacture and installation of a new and improved wayfinding scheme and custom-made totem and monolith signage.
isGroup collaborated with leading wayfinding and graphic design consultancy, Holmes Wood, to ensure their designs were manufactured to specification and met superior standards for this important world-heritage site.
The team was able to manufacture a very complex architectural scheme to the satisfaction of both the designer and client.
• Site survey of sign locations and access
• CAD manufacturing drawings
• Structural steelwork and groundwork calculations
• Six nine metre totem signs constructed from an internal steel framework clad with heavy gauge aluminium panels with fret cut lettering backed with acrylic to allow illumination
• Twelve nine-metre high promotional banner poles manufactured with fixing arms to display printed promotional banners,
• Five welcome signs manufactured from aluminium panels welded and dressed, painted and vinyl graphics supplied.
• Ten double sided customised monolith signs with inter changeable directory panels screen printed with individual names
• Four-sided wayfinding monoliths with integral poster cases to display events and location maps. All signage elements are internally illuminated with a low level LED system for ease of maintenance.
• Signwriting of the wording Albert Dock to the four elevations of the historic building
• Internal location maps around the dock area installed to chain fence
• Stainless steel entrance tapered posts with cross framework to support built up letters Albert Dock.
This was a complex installation due to the lack of service drawings as the dock was built in the Victorian era. Cat scans were completed for each sign location and test digs by our experienced installation crew who have SMSTS and SSSTS qualifications.
As Principal Contractor, isGroup was able to act as CDM Co-ordinator, maintaining the Health and Safety standards with method statements and risk assessments. isGroup’s dedicated project manager supervised contractors involved on site to ensure a successful, safe completion of the scheme to a high standard.
The scheme won the best architectural sign award at the British Sign Awards in 2008